Review: Friends and Liars by Kaela Coble


Ruby escaped her hometown ten years ago and didn't look back. But when childhood friend, Danny, takes his own life, Ruby has no choice but to return to the world and the friends she once knew. But Danny has left behind a surprise: a pile of envelopes with his former friends' names on them, each revealing a dark secret they would rather stayed hidden.

I reached the 17% mark before being forced to throw in the towel. The blurb sounded quite interesting but the story itself is just plain dull, so I cannot read any further. My towering TBR pile is beckoning, and I'd much rather spend my time reading a book that I can't bear to put down.

For characters with so-called big secrets, I'm not particularly shocked so far, nor do I feel inclined to find out what scandals others in "the crew" are hiding. The clique aspect and paragraphs spent reminiscing on their childhood stories are very much along the lines of "you had to be there" to find it funny and/or mildly interesting.

I'd require characters with more vibrant personalities, and beautiful prose from the author, in order to find this story intriguing enough to read on. My towering TBR pile is beckoning, and I'd much rather spend my time reading a book I'll actually enjoy, so I'm giving in. Overall, Friends and Liars is a bit of a snoozefest.

Review: 2 STARS!

Comments