Holiday Reading for Winter/Spring/Summer 2013

As spring rapidly approaches (at least in England), it brings with it weeks of dull, grey mornings and miserable rainy days. London’s transport system will predictably fall under the pressure of passengers looking to escape the downpour with an infrequent and unreliable service. As more and more frustrated people attempt to shove their way onto trains, tubes and buses, the daily commute in and out of the city will soon become the stuff nightmares are made of.

Good old jolly London!



But not for me, my faithful readers! I'll be able to escape the tragedy that is the British weather, most likely in time for those lovely non-stop incessant spring showers. Because next month, I will be jetting off to locations as yet unknown!


I will be basking in the warm rays of the sun, gorging on regional delicacies, and sipping Mai Tais poolside on some exotic island with a book in hand, satisfyingly lost in fiction. As I currently partake in the gruesome challenge of getting bikini-ready, a task that involves many gritty showdowns with my exercise bike and healthy eating, I think it's about time that I begin preparing my holiday reading list.

Although said holiday has not yet been booked (we are a family of late planners), looking at photographs of sparkling blue seawater, large straw huts and dazzling golden sunsets, the thought of reading for hours on a beach really excites me. The thought of ten days away from work makes me positively giddy. So when I'm not swimming, or snorkelling or eating my weight in freshly-caught fish, I intend to work my way through many great books.

My current holiday reading list goes as follows:

1) Dark Places by Gillian Flynn


I've already ordered this one. In fact, I placed my order right after finishing her debut novel, Sharp Objects, which I will be reviewing later this week.

2) The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides


I saw the movie in high school because I wanted to marry Josh Hartnett at the time. What is he up to these days? Anyone know? Anyway, I have yet to read the book. I'm looking forward to it because the movie stayed with me for years after I first saw it.

3) The Innocents by Francesca Segal


This book was recommended in a blog I frequent and coincidentally has the same title as a short story I wrote for my undergraduate dissertation. I'm certain Segal's narrative is far more superior to mine, but I did receive a 2:1 for my efforts at the time. Not bad for such an awful story, and I'm not being modest.

4) After the Fall by Charity Norman


Picked by Richard and Judy for their 2013 book club, I've heard Norman's storytelling is reminiscent of Jodi Picoult whose books I've devoured over the years.

5) The Good Father by Noah Hawley 


This is another Richard and Judy book club choice, as is my final pick...

6)  Gold by Chris Cleave


I was swept up in the excitement of the Olympics last summer, so it seems only fitting that I should read this novel. Perhaps it will even encourage similar athletic ability while I'm on holiday, so I can shift those final crucial pounds to get me swimwear-ready... for lounging on a lilo, cocktail in hand. Ahem!

So there you have it, folks. That's my holiday reading list as it currently stands. I have a month to go before I depart for bluer skies and long, sun-filled days, so I may still revise the list. But I think it looks rather satisfactory. Don't you?

What books are you currently reading? Are there any you would recommend I add to my list? 

Or perhaps you're going on holiday soon and are in need of some reading material yourself. Well, why not join me in tackling the books on my reading list? We can compare embarrassing holiday stories and book reviews when we're back home.

Comments