Book Review: Lick by Kylie Scott

Publication Date: Paperback - 8th May 2014
Kindle Edition - 21st November 2013

Evelyn Thomas starts her 21st birthday off with a bang when she wakes up on the bathroom floor of her Vegas hotel room next to half-naked rock star David Ferris. With no recollection of the previous night’s events, Evelyn struggles to fight off a monstrous hangover and come to terms with the fact that she's now married to rock royalty. If only she could remember how this all came to be.

I’m a fan of romance books but I just didn’t enjoy this one despite how hard I tried to like it. Initially, I wanted to stop reading after the first chapter as the writing was akin to something I might have penned during a bad romance-writing workshop at university. However, I thought I’d give Lick the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps it will get better, I told myself. The writing didn’t, unfortunately.

Despite an interesting premise, there were far too many typos and an abundance of confusing, awkward phrases. Although Evelyn and David are within the 21 - 26-year age range, their behaviour and dialogue is often more comparable to teenagers than adults, and the author’s attempts at character development fall flat. I found Evelyn, the narrative voice, to be particularly annoying, especially when she’d take great pleasure in stating the obvious -

“…dark hair leading down across his flat stomach directly to it. And it was hard, thick, and long. It being his penis, of course.”

I’m so glad the author pointed that last part out to me, otherwise I would have assumed Evelyn was referring to his knee. Am I being serious? No, of course not!

Here are some of the typos I could be bothered to highlight in my Kindle edition:

1) Pg. 189 - “…we poured out into the baggage claim… we only had carry-on, so no delays there.”

Should this say “baggage claim area” and “carry-on luggage”?

 2) Pg. 2844 – “His shoulders dropped back to normal levels.”

What exactly are normal levels??

3) Pg. 3446 – “No matter how low-key there were trying to be.”

I assume this should say, “…they were trying to be.

Sadly, this book just wasn't my cup of tea, so I won't be picking up Kylie Scott's follow-up novel Play about Mal, David's band mate. But I wish the author the very best of luck with her upcoming book release.

My rating:


Technically, I did finish it, only I kind of wish I hadn't.

Comments