Holiday Reading List for Winter/Spring/Summer 2014

For the past couple days, I've had my nose buried in my Kindle during the commute to and from work. The effort to remain upright on the jerky, bouncy Metropolitan line trains, whilst clutching my Kindle securely and holding on to a pole for dear life, has proven challenging. But it is whilst observing my surroundings during these otherwise dull journeys that I have compiling my new holiday reading list for 2014. Specifically, I have been partaking in a favourite pastime of mine known as "book perving".

Book perving is the act of spying on your fellow commuters to see what they are reading. I should add, in my case it does not involve reading over their shoulder, for at a meagre height of 4 foot 9, I am not in a position to be reading over anyone's shoulder!

As was the case last year, I have yet to book my flight and hotel officially, but know this: I will be going somewhere exotic next month. And with a beach holiday comes hours spent by the pool or on a sun lounger, reading as many books as I can get my hands on.

1)  Looking for Alaska by John Green

http://cairnswrites.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/looking-for-alaska.jpg
Having laughed and cried but left feeling depressed by Green's The Fault in our Stars, I was somewhat hesitant to pick up another of his books. But this one has very positive reviews, and the Waterstones on Oxford Street have had it stacked near the entrance for months and months, urging me to read it. So I've decided to give it a try. I've already begun reading it, in fact, which is why it's  number one on the list.

I'll be adding to the list soon. But right now, I need to find out how to make a bufriedo!


2) The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1365048080l/17465450.jpg 

Selected by Richard and Judy for their book club, this this books promises to be a page-turner. I love a novel with a good twist, and I've heard that this book has several.

3) Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

http://emilybooks.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/whered-you-go-bernadette.jpg

The lack of a question mark in the title is puzzling, but this book was on Waterstones reading list for months last year.

4) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/ThirteenReasonsWhy.jpg

A book about teen suicide, Thirteen Reasons Why is a YA book that makes you stop and think long and hard about the way you treat people. It opens your eyes to the idea that your actions, however small, can have devastating consequences.

5) Paper Towns by John Green

http://johngreenbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/PaperTowns2009_6A.jpg

Considering I've read The Fault in our Stars and Looking for Alaska, I thought, Why the hell not?

Comments