Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Publication Date: 24th May 2012

“People love talking, and I have never been a huge talker.  
I carry on an inner monologue, but the words often don't reach my lips.” 
- Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl

There's something to be said about an author who can conjure up two psychologically unbalanced protagonists, who fascinate and disturb you, the reader, so much so that you feel an insatiable need to devour her book from cover to cover, just to sate your unhealthy curiosity as to what the protagonists will do/say next. Gillian Flynn is such an author. Whilst her Amy and Nick are undeniably a twisted and depraved couple, embroiled in a toxic relationship, you can't help but care about them, enough to desperately want to know what becomes of them.

Based on two of the most flawed characters I have ever come across in literature, Gone Girl is a tale of suspense, criminal genius and a dysfunctional relationship to rival all others. There's a reason why it topped the New York Times Bestseller List in 2012, and was picked by Oprah, in addition to Richard and Judy for their respective book clubs. It's everything you could want in a thriller. It has countless "Oh, my gosh!" plot twists that will leave you turning the pages at breakneck speed to see what happens next. It has dual first-person narrators who make you question them, yourself and those around you. And it's a story that will stay with you, long after you've finished reading it.

For me, Gone Girl was a reminder of why I first fell in love with fiction. After reading a series of books last year with characters I didn't particularly care for, feel close to nor particularly like, Nick and Amy were a refreshing change. At long last, I had found a book that I could love, even though at times I wanted to strangle one or both of the main characters for being so screwed up in the head! Finally, I had found an adult book that gripped me as much as my favourite children's and YA reads, such as the Harry Potter books, and The Hunger Games and Divergent trilogies!

The synopsis goes as follows:

Nick Dunne's wife Amy mysteriously goes missing on the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary. Nick soon becomes the No. 1 suspect, but he swears he didn't do it. Amy's friends think otherwise.

 I don't want to give anything more away for those of you who haven't read the book yet. I was fortunate enough to read the book with no spoilers whatsoever, for which I am wholly grateful. I've learnt my lesson - never search for Twitter discussions on a book before you have finished it, unless you deliberately wish to sabotage your reading experience. But I will say this. Read it. You will not regret it.


My rating:

http://kidnappedbyfiction.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/book-rating-system.html


Right after finishing Gone Girl, I ordered Gillian Flynn's two other books, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. I have since read both, and she is now one of my favourite authors. Check out my review for Sharp Objects here:

 So who else has read Gone Girl? Did you like it? What did you think of the ending?

Comments